In pool games, one of the standard terms you have ever heard is the “Racking.” Today we will talk about what is racking and how to rack pool balls. It is a term that is used to set the balls in a specific order to start a game; the law is fixed for every game. There are different types of pool games, and for those, there have different ways to rack pool balls. In this article, we will talk about racking of 8 balls, 9balls, ten balls, and straight pool. There is an individual order of each.
Despite different order across different games, there are individual balls which hold the same position in all formats of the games. If you want to defend the best break then you need to rack the balls tighter, which make difficult for your opponent to pocket the ball. So, what is the proper way to rack pool balls, We will make you familiar with the proper way to rack the pool balls.
How to Rack Pool Balls – 8 Balls Setup
8-Ball Pool is widely played around the world. It is also considered as the most straightforward game to play among all pool games. 8-Ball Pool contains 15 balls in the game, among which seven are called stripes balls, and seven are called solid balls, and one is a black ball, which also known as the queen. Before racking the balls in a proper way, I want to tell you that you need to rack the 15 balls using a triangle-shaped rack. Before racking the balls, you need to know some of the rules to rack the balls in the 8-ball pool game.
- There will be five rows inside of the triangle rack.
- The first row consists of a single ball.
- The second row contains two balls that can be placed randomly.
- The 3rd row contains three balls from which one ball should be the Eightball, it will be placed between the two other balls.
- The 4th row contains four balls; you can place any four balls randomly.
- 5th row contains five balls; there should be one solid ball around the left corner and one strip ball around the right corner.
To win the game, you need to pocket your balls along with the 8th ball. You may choose either of the balls from stripes and full balls.
Racking of 9-ball
This game takes a short time to decide the winner. It contains nine balls; all balls should be solid except the ball number ‘Nine.’ The 9th ball must be the stripe. You are provided with a sequence to pocket the ball and pocket the 9th ball in the end. You can also pocket the 9th ball indirectly through the other ball.
We often use the triangle-shaped rack to racking the balls, but in the case of 9 ball pool, we rack the balls in a diamond formation rack because of the number of balls. Before racking the balls in the diamond rack shape, you need to know some of the rules to rack the balls.
- There will be five rows of balls within the diamond formation
- 1st row contains one ball at the apex.
- 2nd row includes two balls that can be placed at random places.
- 3rd row consists of three balls, and there should be the 9th ball in the middle of the row.
- Like the 2nd row, 4rth row contains two balls that can be placed at random places.
- Like 1st row, 5th row contains one ball.
To win the game, you need to pocket your balls along with the 9th ball directly in the end. Also, you can indirectly (through the other ball) pocket the ball at any stage of the game.
Racking of 10-ball
It is the hardest version of the pool game. It consists of 10 balls, and the whole focus is to pocket the 10th ball. We will use the triangle-shaped rack to rack the ten balls. There will be four rows inside the frame.
- It consists of 4 rows inside the rack.
- The first row consists of one ball which is placed at the top (front) of a regular triangle, as we have discussed in 8 pool balls.
- The second row consists of 2 balls. You can place any two balls randomly.
- The 3rd row consists of 3 balls, among which one will be the 10th ball, which lies in the middle of the 3rd row.
- The final row consists of 4 balls, and all balls should be placed randomly
- Except for the 10th ball, you can set the remaining balls randomly as you want.
For winning the game, a player needs to pocket the 10th ball legally.
Racking of Straight pool
This game consists of 15 balls, among which 7 are stripes, and 7 are solids, and the remaining ball is queen. Key factors when someone is racking for a straight pool game are below.
- The first rack will be much similar to the 8-ball pool, and only the difference is you no longer need to care about the position of 8th ball or queen.
- You only need to rack the 15 balls randomly within the triangle rack and inserting the apex ball on the foot spot to start the sport.
- Some players prefer to put 1st ball within the right corner of the rack and also the 5th ball within the left corner of the rack, but it is not a part of the official rule. This selection is ultimately up to you.
- You need to re-rack whenever 14 balls out of 15 are pocketed. The final ball remains on the table, the referee or selected player can re-rack the fourteen pocketed balls randomly with the apex spot left empty.
To win the straight pool game, you need to reach on a specified quantity of points.
If your opponent has turned to break, then try to rack the balls tightly so that they will not travel great distances. The tightly racked balls are hard to separate. Most of the force exerted through cue ball will overcome to separate the two balls inside the racking.
Stop rolling of the balls inside the racking. Rolling of the balls proves that the balls are not too tightly bounded. To rack tightly, Rack the balls and place your thumb inside of the racking so that there will be no space between balls.
Q: 1 which rack frame is highly preferred to rack the balls tightly?
Ans: We highly prefer the Magical Ball Rack to use to rack the balls tightly rather than the old diamond rack.
Q: 2 how can we know that we have racked the balls tighter?
Ans: Rolling of the balls proves that the balls are not too tightly bounded. To rack tightly, Rack the balls and place your thumb inside of the racking so that there will be no space between balls.
Knowing the correct way to rack pool balls are an essential part of the game. It can make or break your game. A loose brake may set the tone for your opponent, and he can get that opportunity and win the game. You need to hit the ball in the right position with your pool cue so that you can pot one or two balls at least. In 9-ball and 8-ball games, Breaking and racking play a crucial role in your game. Follow these factors in your game and get a better pool experience.